Rich and decadent, this cake is the ultimate chocolate indulgence. Gorgeausly and gooey and utterly irresistible, this mousse cake is a chocolate lover´s dream.
For my english speakers followers this is the english version of Tarta con mousse de chocolate
For the shortbread base
For the mousse topping
Prep time: 30 minutes, plus chilling time.
Cook time: 45 minutes
- Preheat the oven to 180ºC, fan 160ºC. Grease a 20cm round springform tin and line with baking parchment.
- To make the base, combine the flour, sugar and butter, and make a dough by hand. Or use a food processor and whizz until it resembles breadcrumbs. Pat together to form a ball, then press the dough evenly into the bottom of the tin. Prick all over with a fork.
- Bake for about 20 minutes, until just dry to the touch. Allow cooling completely, which, should take about 30 minutes.
- To make the mouse toping, place the chocolate and butter in a bowl and melt over a pan of simmering water.
- Tip the eggs white into a large bowl and whisk until stiff peaks form
- Wisk the eggs yolks with the sugar until pale. Add the chocolate mixture to the eggs yolks, and then fold in the egg whites.
- Pour into the cake tin and bake for 20 -25 minutes. Allow cooling completely in the springform tin, which should take at least 4 hours.
- Dust with cocoa powder and decorate it with fine chocolate chips before serving.